Community Involvement Award
This annual award was created to show appreciation. To be eligible for consideration, the following criteria must be met.
Be a member or business of the community who is/are:
- Builder- Create safe spaces for the LGBTQ+ community to thrive
- Dedication- Have 10 or more years of positive impact on the community
- Philanthropy- Support others in the community to achieve their goals.
The 2021 recipient has owned and operated safe spaces for more than 35 years.
These spaces have hosted countless events ranging from Karaoke, Leather nights, Open Mics, Pride events, Fundraisers, Drag Shows, Concerts and so much more.
He has owned and operated the following nightclubs:
- Club 332 January 1st, 1984- March 27th, 1994
- Touchéz April 1st,1994- March 17th, 2008
- Touchéz West (TW’s) Oct 31st, 1999- Spring of 2006
- Club David March 21st, 2008- Current
"...without him, I would be hard-pressed to have met so many more LGBT South Dakotans…”
“Again, he has been a huge part of the community, even if it has been behind the scenes or without any acknowledgment. He has sponsored several softball and bowling teams, and has given to various organizations.”
“… has had countless shows, events, and fundraisers throughout his 37 years in the bar business. One could not begin to name them all, but if only the walls in each and every bar he owned could tell the stories.”
“… has been a wonderful safety net for us LGBT. On top of that, he’s about as genuine as they come. No BS. I am lucky to call you a friend, and glad that you’ve given Sioux Falls, SD a safe space for the LGBT community.”